The Neurosurgery Outpatient Clinic at UPMC Presbyterian is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. To make an appointment, call us at 412-647-3685.
- Please let us know if you have seen any of our doctors before or if this is your first visit.
- Please verify with your insurance carrier that our physicians are participants in your plan.
- Please ensure you have the proper referral from your primary care physician if required by your insurance plan.
Changing or Canceling an Appointment
If you need to change or cancel your appointment, please call our office as soon as possible at 412-647-3685.
If your medical information is not already present in our office, on the day of your appointment, please bring:
- Medical records pertinent to your illness.
- Completed forms.
- X-rays (MRI, CT scans, plain films, angiograms, myelograms)
- X-ray reports
- List of medications
- List of any food or drug allergies
- Referral from your primary care physician (if needed). Please note: Many insurance policies require an authorization from the patient's PCP (primary care physician) before the patient can see a specialist (neurosurgeon) without incurring out of pocket expenses. Please bring with you or be certain that we have proper authorization for evaluation by a neurosurgeon in order to avoid personal expense or the need to reschedule your appointment.
- Insurance cards
- Workman's compensation - Please bring claim number, address, phone number, agent whose handling the claim, and date of injury.
- Referring physicians - Please have with you: names, addresses, phone numbers, and fax numbers of all the physicians you want the doctor to write to.
- List of questions you want to ask the doctor.
During the Office Visit
The doctor and his staff will review your medical history and examine you. Please make sure your medical records and any previous test results are sent to our office before your appointment or you may bring them with you.
Your doctor may want you to have more tests done. We will make every attempt to schedule the tests at a time convenient to you. Some tests may require authorization from your primary care physician.
After Your Office Visit
If you have questions after your office visit, please feel free to contact our office.
It is our plan to contact you regarding your test results. (Please keep in mind, it may take a week for some testing results to become available.) If you do not hear from us, please contact our office and ask for your physician's clinical coordinator.
If surgery is indicated, our office staff will coordinate a convenient date for you and the physician. Please notify your insurance carrier before you are admitted to the hospital. Most insurance carriers require patients to get approval for tests and surgery. The hospital will also verify insurance coverage and obtain pre-certification. You will be notified by mail as to when to report for preoperative testing.
Whenever possible, someone will call you the night before your surgery to tell you when you need to be here.
Remember to bring your X-rays with you the day of surgery, unless they are already housed in our office.
If you have an emergency, go directly to the nearest emergency department.
Our office is open 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. At all other times, our answering service will receive your call. They will take a message and deliver it to the office on the next working day. If it is an urgent matter, please inform the answering service so that they may contact your doctor.
If you need a copy of your medical records, you must sign a release. Our office charts consist of pertinent information regarding your office visits. Please include your social security number and date of birth on the request. You may send it to:
Medical Records-Suite B400
200 Lothrop St.
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
We are not authorized to release x-ray reports, pathology reports, operative reports, or office notes from other physicians' offices. Those records would need to be obtained through UPMC's Medical Record Department. You can contact UPMC Presbyterian Medical Records at 412-647-3280.
For questions regarding billing for services of your doctor, please call 412-442-9600 or toll-free at 888-647-9600.