Hansen Deng, MD, joined the University of Pittsburgh Department of Neurological Surgery residency program in July of 2019. Dr. Deng graduated with distinction from the University of California San Francisco School of Medicine, where he was elected into the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society. He completed his undergraduate degrees in oil-painting and biology at the University of California Berkeley, where he was elected into the Phi Beta Kappa Society.
Traumatic brain injury (TBI) is a complex disorder with many diagnostic challenges. Dr Deng’s research in TRACK-TBI investigates the discriminatory ability of biomarkers to provide precise assessment of injury severity and assist with prognostication after injury. At the Brain Trauma Research Center, he investigates the role that genetic factors can play in the secondary pathophysiology of neurotrauma. Along with optimizing operative management of TBI and spinal cord injury (SCI) patients, his goal is to advance evidence-based clinical practices in the neurocritical intensive care unit.
Dr. Deng serves as a mentor for undergraduate and graduate students with interests in medicine and neurosurgery. He enjoys painting, playing basketball, and cooking
Dr. Deng’s publications can be reviewed through the National Library of Medicine’s publication database.
Specialized Areas of Interest
Professional Organization Membership
Education & Training
- BA, Biology and Art (Oil-Painting), University of California Berkely, 2014
- MD (with Distinction in Clinical and Translational Research), University of California San Francisco, 2019
Honors & Awards
- ThinkFirst Injury Prevention Award, American Association of Neurological Surgeons, 2020
- Best Clinical Research Abstract, Pediatric Section, Congress of Neurological Surgeons, 2019
- Ronald R. Tasker Young Investigator Award, Congress of Neurological Surgeons, 2019
- Steinhart Scholarship Award, UCSF School of Medicine, 2019
- Distinction in Clinical and Translational Research, University of California, San Francisco, 2019
- Storytelling Prize, UCSF Synapse Student Voices, 2019
- Journal of Neuro-Oncology Award, American Association of Neurological Surgeons, 2017
- AANS/CNS Section on Trauma and Critical Care Abstract Finalist, 2017
- Dean’s Prize in Research and Scholarship Finalist, UCSF School of Medicine, 2016, 2019
- University Grant in Medicine, UCSF School of Medicine, 2015-2019
- Sussman Prize in Painting and Exhibition, University of California Berkeley, 2014
- Phelan Art Scholarship, University of California Berkeley, 2013
- Dean’s Honors, University of California Berkeley, 2012-2014
Deng H, Zusman BE, Nwachuku EL, Yue JK, Chang YF, Conley YP, Okonkwo DO, Puccio AM. B-cell lymphoma 2 (BCL2) gene is associated with intracranial hypertension after severe traumatic brain injury. J Neurotrauma 38(2):291-299, 2021.
Mallela AN, Deng H, Bush A, Goldschmidt E. Different principles govern different scales of brain folding. Cereb Cortex 30(9):4938-4948, 2020.
Yue JK, Yuh EL, Korley FK, Winkler EA, Sun X, Puffer RC, Deng H, Choy W, Chandra A, Taylor SR, Ferguson AR, Huie JR, Rabinowitz M, Puccio AM, Mukherjee P, Sun X, Jain S, Vassar MJ, Wang KKW, Diaz-Arrastia R, Okonkwo DO, Manley GT. Association between plasma GFAP concentrations and MRI abnormalities in patients with CT-negative traumatic brain injury in the TRACK-TBI cohort: a prospective multicentre study. Lancet Neurol 18(10):953-961, 2019.
Deng H, Chan AK, Ammanuel SG, Chan AY, Oh T, Skrehot HC, Edwards CS, Kondapavulur S, Nichols AD, Liu C, Yue JK, Dhall SS, Clark AJ, Chou D, Ames CP, Mummaneni PV. Risk factors for deep surgical site infection following thoracolumbar spinal surgery. J Neurosurg Spine 32(2):292-301, 2019.
Deng H, Yue JK, Winkler EA, Dhall SS, Manley GT, Tarapore PE. Pediatric firearm-related traumatic brain injury in United States trauma centers. J Neurosurg Pediatr [Online ahead of print].
Deng H, Yue JK, Winkler EA, Dhall SS, Manley GT, Tarapore PE. Adult firearm-related traumatic brain injury in United States trauma centers. J Neurotrauma 36(2):322-337, 2019.
Wang DD, Deng H, Hervey-Jumper SL, Chang EF, Berger MS. Seizure outcome after surgical resection of insular glioma. Neurosurgery 83(4):709-718, 2018.
Rolston JD, Deng H, Wang DD, Englot DJ, Chang EF. Multiple Subpial Transections for Medically Refractory Epilepsy: Analysis of Disaggregated Patient-Level Data. Neurosurgery 82(5):613-620, 2018.
Yue JK, Robinson CK, Burke JF, Winkler EA, Deng H, Ferguson AR, McAllister TW, Rosand J, Burchard EG, Lingsma HF, Sorani MD, Sharma S, Nielson JL, Satris GG, Talbott JF, Tarapore PE, Korley FK, Wang KKW, Yuh EL, Mukherjee P, Diaz-Arrastia R, Valadka AB, Okonkwo DO, Manley GT; TRACK-TBI Investigators. Apolipoprotein E epsilon 4 (APOE-ε4) genotype is associated with decreased six-month verbal memory performance after mild traumatic brain injury. Brain Behav 7(9):e00791, 2017.
Deng H, Yue JK, Upadhyayula PS, Burke JF, Suen CG, Chan AK, Winkler EA, Dhall SS. Odontoid fractures in the octogenarian: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Neurosurg Sci 60(4):543-55, 2016.