Joseph H. Garcia, MD, joined the University of Pittsburgh Department of Neurological Surgery residency program in July 2022 after graduating from the University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine, earning his MD with distinction in molecular medicine. He received his undergraduate degree from the University of California, Davis.
Prior to residency, Dr. Garcia performed basic science research focused on understanding the role of cellular metabolism in neurodegeneration and in brain tumor biology. He also conducted clinical neurosurgical research on topics ranging from cerebrovascular disease to surgical treatments for epilepsy.
Dr. Garcia was born and raised in San Francisco, California. Outside of neurosurgery, he enjoys sports, getting outside, and spending time with his family and friends.
Specialized Areas of Interest
Professional Organization Membership
Education & Training
- BS, Plant Biology, University of California Davis, 2014
- MD, University of California San Francisco, 2022
Honors & Awards
- Best Basic Scientific Paper Abstract Award, AANS Cerebrovascular Section, 2023
- MD with Distinction in Molecular Medicine, UCSF, 2022
- Steinhart Award for students matching into surgical subspecialties, UCSF, 2022
- Dean’s Prize for Long-Term Research, UCSF, 2021
- Research Diversity Supplement, NIH-National Cancer Institute (NCI), 2020
- Dean’s Prize for Short-Term Research, UCSF, 2018