Michael J. Lang, MD, joined the University of Pittsburgh in 2019 as a vascular and endovascular neurosurgeon who specializes in treatment of vessel diseases of the brain, including aneurysms, stroke, carotid artery stenosis, arteriovenous malformations and fistulas, cavernomas, and intracerebral hemorrhage. He performs both minimally invasive endovascular and traditional open & skull base surgery, allowing a comprehensive approach in the treatment of cerebrovascular disease. He also has subspecialty training in functional/epilepsy neurosurgery.
Dr. Lang completed his undergraduate work at the University of Wisconsin. He received his medical degree from Ohio State University, graduating with honors. Dr. Lang completed his neurosurgical residency and fellowships in both endovascular neurosurgery and functional & epilepsy surgery at Thomas Jefferson University. He then completed the prestigious fellowship in open cerebrovascular and skull base surgery at the Barrow Neurological Institute with extensive training in cerebral bypass surgery and removal of vascular lesions of the brainstem.
Dr. Lang has published numerous papers and book chapters, participated in clinical trials, and delivered lectures to audiences all over the world. His research interests include clinical outcomes in the treatment of cerebrovascular disease and epilepsy surgery, as well as MRI-compatible robotics.
Dr. Lang's publications can be reviewed through the National Library of Medicine's publication database.
Specialized Areas of Interest
American Board of Neurological Surgery
Professional Organization Membership
Education & Training
- BS, Biology, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2006
- MD (Honors), The Ohio State University College of Medicine, 2011
- Residency (Neurosurgery), Thomas Jefferson University, 2018
- Fellowship (Functional/Epilepsy), Thomas Jefferson University, 2016
- Fellowship (Endovascular), Thomas Jefferson University, 2018
- Fellowship (Cerebrovascular/Skull Base), Barrow Neurological Institute, 2019
Honors & Awards
- Physician Excellence Award, UPMC, 2021