Mingui Sun, PhD, received a BS degree in instrumental and industrial automation in 1982 from the Shenyang Chemical Engineering Institute in Shenyang, China, and an MS degree in electrical engineering in 1986 from the University of Pittsburgh, where he also earned a PhD degree in electrical engineering in 1989. He was later appointed to the faculty in the Department of Neurological Surgery.
Dr. Sun’s research interests include neurophysiological signals and systems, biosensor designs, brain-computer interface, bioelectronics and bioinformatics. He has more than 460 publications.
Specialized Areas of Interest
Professional Organization Membership
Education & Training
- BS, Instrumentation/Industrial Automation, Shenyang Chemical Institute, 1982
- MS, Electrical Engineering, University of Pittsburgh, 1986
- PhD, Electrical Engineering, University of Pittsburgh, 1989
Li Z, Jia W, Chen H-C, Wang K, Zuo W, Meng D, Sun M. Multiview Stereo and Silhouette Fusion via Minimizing Generalized Reprojection Error. Image and Vision Computing 33:1-14, 2015.
Chen H-C, Jia W, Sun X, Li Z, Li Y, Fernstrom JD, Burke LE, Baranowski T, Sun M. Saliency-aware food image segmentation for personal dietary assessment using a wearable computer. Measurement Science and Technology 26(2), 2015.
Li Z, Wei Z, Yue Y, Wang H, Jia W, Sun M. An adaptive hidden Markov model for activity recognition using a wearable multi-sensor device. Journal of Medical Systems 39(5):57, 2015.
Cheng F, Zhang H, Sun M, Yuan D. Cross-trees, Edge and Superpixel Priors-based Cost aggregation for Stereo matching. Pattern Recognition, 48(7):2269-78, 2015.
Sun W, Wang H, Sun C, Guo B, Jia W, Sun M. Fast single image haze removal via local atmospheric light veil estimation. Comput Electr Eng 46:371-383, 2015.
Liao X, Yuan Z, Fai Q, Quo J, Zhen Q, Yu S, Tong Q, Si W, Sun M. Modeling and Predicting Tissue Movement and Deformation for High Intensity Focused Ultrasound Therapy. PLoS One 10(5):e0127873, 2015.
Chyu MC, Austin T, Calisir F, Chanjaplammootil S, Davis MJ, Favela J, Gan H, Gefen A, Haddas R, Shen CL, Shieh JS, Su CT, Sun L, Sun M, Tewolde SN, Williams EA, Yan C, Zhang J, Zhang YT. Healthcare Engineering Defined: a White Paper. J Healthc Eng 6(41):635-648, 2015.
Dudik JM, Coyle JL, El-Jaroudi A, Sun M, Sejdic E. A matched dual-tree wavelet denoising for tri-axial swallowing vibrations. Biomed Signal Process Control 27:112-121, 2016.
A complete list of Dr. Sun's publications can be reviewed through the National Library of Medicine's publication database.
Dr. Sun has been involved in the following research projects:
1) Powering and Communicating with Miniature Neural Implants: In collaboration with Qi Xu, PhD, a visiting professor, and Tianfeng Wang, a visiting graduate student, Dr. Sun’s lab has studied the problem of wireless power transfer and data communication for a tiny neural implantable device. This device is shaped like a tube which can be surgically implanted around a blood vessel or a nerve bundle to monitor functions or pathological states. Dr. Sun and his colleagues have designed a novel system that uses the same antenna to deliver electric power and to transmit and receive signals from the outside of the human body.
2) Individualized Dietary Evaluation for Gates Foundation and NIH Projects: Dr. Sun has continued his study on the artificial intelligence technology for automatic and objective assessment of diet in the real-world environment. Dr. Sun and his colleagues have improved electronic devices and developed new algorithms which are being utilized for field studies in Ghana and Kenya in Africa.