Sameer Agnihotri, PhD, joined the faculty of the Department of Neurological Surgery at UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh in November of 2016.
Dr. Agnihotri graduated from the University of Toronto in 2005 with a bachelor of science honors degree in biology, specializing in genetics. He earned his PhD in medical biophysics in 2011 from the University of Toronto where he used genetic screens to identify novel drivers of glioblastoma, an incurable brain tumor. He subsequently completed his post-doctoral fellowship at the Arthur and Sonia Labatt Brain Tumor Research Centre at the Hospital for Sick Children, in Toronto, and the Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Division of Neuro-oncology Research, also in Toronto.
Specialized Areas of Interest
Professional Organization Membership
Education & Training
- BSc, (hons), Biology, University of Toronto, 2005
- PhD, Medical Biophysics, University of Toronto, 2011
- Fellowship, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, 2016
- Fellowship, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto, 2016
Honors & Awards
- Children’s Trust and Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh Young Investigator Award, 2017
- Marlene Reimer Brain Star Award, 2016
- Post-Doctoral Scholarship, Canadian Institute of Health Resources (CIHR), 2013-16
- Trainee of the Year, Hospital for Sick Children, 2014
- Young Investigator Award in Basic/Translational Research, Canadian Neuro-Oncology, 2014
- Lucien J. Rubinstein Award, American Brain Tumor Association, 2013
- Wolfgang Vogel Memorial Award, University of Toronto, 2013
- Young Investigator Travel Award, Society of Neuro-Oncology, 2012
- Graduate Student Scholarship, Ontario Institute for Cancer Research, 2009
- Young Investigator Award in Pediatric Brain Tumour Research Awarded, Pediatric Brain Tumor Research Foundation, 2007
Agnihotri S, Jalali S, Wilson MR, Aldape KD, Zadeh G. The Somatic Landscape of Schwannoma. Nature Genetics 48(11):1339-1348, 2016.
Agnihotri S, Golbourn B, Huang X, Cairns RA, Taylor MD, Zadeh G, Rutka JT. 2016. PINK1 is a Negative Regulator of Growth and the Warburg Effect in Glioblastoma. Cancer Research 76(16):4708-19, 2016.
Vartanian A, Agnihotri S, Wilson MR, Burrell KE, Tonge PD, Alamsahebpour A, Jalali S, Taccone MS, Mansouri S, Golbourn B, Aldape KD, Zadeh G. 2016. Targeting hexokinase 2 enhances response to radio-chemotherapy in glioblastoma. Oncotarget 7(43):69518-69535, 2016.
Agnihotri S, Zadeh G. Metabolic reprogramming in glioblastoma: The influence of cancer metabolism on epigenetics and unanswered questions. Neuro Oncol 18(2):160-72, 2016.
Chornenkyy Y, Agnihotri S, Yu M, Buczkowicz P, Rakopoulos P, Golbourn B, Garzia L, Siddaway R, Leung S, Rutka JT, Taylor MD, Dirks PB, Hawkins C. Poly-ADP-Ribose-Polymerase as a Therapeutic Target in Pediatric Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma and Pediatric High Grade Astrocytoma. Mol Cancer Ther 14(11):2560-8, 2015.
Agnihotri S, Aldape KD, Zadeh G. Isocitrate dehydrogenase status and molecular subclasses of glioma and glioblastoma. Neurosurg Focus 37(6), 2014.
Agnihotri S, Gugel I, Remke M, Bornemann A, Pantazis G, Mack S, Shih D, Singh S, Sabha N, Taylor MD, Tatagiba M, Zadeh G, Krischek B. Gene-expression profiling elucidates molecular signaling networks that can be therapeutically targeted in vestibular schwannoma. Journal of Neurosurgery. 121(6):1434-45, 2014.
Agnihotri S, Burrell K, Buczkowicz P, Remke M, Golbourn B, Sobol RW, Taylor MD, Rutka JT, Jones C, Dirks PB, Zadeh G, Hawkins C. ATM regulates 3-Methylpurine-DNA glycosylase and promotes therapeutic resistance to alkylating agents. Cancer Discovery 4(10):1198-1213, 2014.
Agnihotri S, Burrell KB, Wolf A, Jalali S, Hawkins C, Rutka JT, Zadeh G. Glioblastoma, a brief review of history, molecular genetics, animal models and novel therapeutic strategies. Archivum Immunologiae et Therapiae Experimentalis (AITE) 61(1):25-41, 2013
Agnihotri S, Gajadhar A, Ternamian C, Gorlia T, Margison G, Aldape K, Hawkins C, Hegi M, Guha A. Alkylpurine-DNA-N-Glycosylase Confers Resistance to Temozolomide and Poor Survival in Glioblastoma Multiforme. Journal of Clinical Investigation 122(1):253-266, 2012.
A complete list of Dr. Agnihotri's publications can be reviewed through the National Library of Medicine's publication database.