Sharath Kumar Anand, MD, joined the University of Pittsburgh Department of Neurological Surgery residency program in July 2021 after earning an MD degree from Wayne State University School of Medicine. At Wayne State, he was elected into the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society and was awarded the Karl G. Pinckard Scholarship. Prior to medical school, he graduated from the University of Michigan in 2017 with a Bachelor of Science
degree in cellular and molecular biology as well as a minor in electrical engineering and computer science.
During medical school, Dr. Anand conducted clinical neurosurgical research on topics including subarachnoid hemorrhage surgery outcomes, spine surgery and epilepsy care. He has a special interest in socioeconomic disparity research and institutional factors that affect neurosurgical outcomes.
Dr. Anand was born in Chennai, India and raised in Ann Arbor, Mich. Outside of neurosurgery he enjoys sports as well as spending time with his family and friends.
Specialized Areas of Interest
Professional Organization Membership
Education & Training
- BS, Cellular & Molecular Biology, University of Michigan, 2017
- MD, Wayne State University School of Medicine, 2021
Honors & Awards
- Karl G. Pinckard Scholarship, Wayne State University, 2021
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society, Wayne State University, 2020
- Best Clinical Research Award – Tumor, Congress of Neurological Surgeons, 2020
- Year III Comprehensive Honors, Wayne State University, 2020
- Year II Comprehensive Honors, WSU, 2019