Shaun Carlson, PhD, joined the faculty of the Department of Neurological Surgery at UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh in October of 2017.
Dr. Carlson graduated from the University of Kansas in 2007 with a bachelor of science degree in cell biology. He earned his PhD in physiology in 2013 from the University of Kentucky, studying the effects of traumatic brain injury on hippocampal neurogenesis and the efficacy of a growth factor based therapeutic approach to promote neurogenic plasticity and functional recovery after brain injury. He continued his training in 2013 as a postdoctoral fellow at the University
of Pittsburgh Department of Neurological Surgery.
Dr. Carlson's publications can be reviewed through the National Library of Medicine's publication database.
Specialized Areas of Interest
Professional Organization Membership
Education & Training
- BSc, Cell Biology, University of Kansas, 2007
- PhD, Physiology, University of Kentucky, 2013
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Neurological Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, 2017
Honors & Awards
- Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NIH), 2015-17
- Nancy Caroline Fellow Award, Safar Center for Resuscitation Research, 2016
- Murray Goldstein Award of Excellence, National Neurotrauma Symposium, 2013
- Anthony Marmarou Award of Excellence, National Neurotrauma Symposium, 2012
- Brian J. Hardin Award for Research, Department of Physiology, University of Kentucky, 2008