Jeffery Head, MD, joined the University of Pittsburgh Department of Neurological Surgery residency program in July of 2020. He graduated from Colgate University in 2012 with honors in cellular neuroscience and earned his medical degree from Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University in 2020, where he graduated cum laude and was elected into the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society.
Prior to medical school, Dr. Head spent two years as a post-baccalaureate research fellow at the National Institutes of Health studying developmental neurobiology in zebrafish. His work focused on understanding the molecular signaling pathways that regulate collective cell migration in the peripheral nervous system during embryogenesis and creating digital reconstructions of the relationships between these cells during their migration. During his medical school career, Dr. Head was involved in research on spinal cord stimulation waveforms in treating chronic low-back pain, surgical approaches to the spine in treating ossification of the posterior longitudinal ligament, mechanical thrombectomy in distal circulation strokes, and the risk-factors for infection in external ventricular drains.
Dr. Head was born and raised in Fairfield, Conn. Outside of neurosurgery Dr. Head is an avid skier and enjoys cooking, hiking, running, softball, soccer, and spending time with his friends and family.
Specialized Areas of Interest
Professional Organization Membership
Education & Training
- BA, Cellular Neuroscience, Colgate University, 2012
- MD, Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University, 2020
Honors & Awards
- Cum Laude, SKMC 2020
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society, SKMC 2019
- Top Performer, AANS Top Gun Neurosurgical Skills Competition, AANS Meeting 2019
- Dr. George McClellan Surgical Honor Society, SKMC 2018
- Hobart Amory Hare Medical Honor Society, SKMC 2018
- Best Poster Award, Sigma-Xi Student Research Day, SKMC 2018
- Best Poster Award, Post-Baccalaureate Poster Day, NIH 2014
- Honors, Neuroscience Concentration, Colgate University 2012