Hussam Abou-Al-Shaar, MD, received his medical degree from Alfaisal University College of Medicine in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia where he graduated Summa Cum Laude, valedictorian and the top of his class.
During medical school, Dr. Abou-Al-Shaar spent several years in the neurogenetics lab studying the genetics and novel therapeutic treatments for Parkinson’s disease patients. After graduating from medical school, Dr. Abou-Al-Shaar completed 10 months of post-doctoral research fellowship in the Department of Neurosurgery at the University of Utah and a year of neurosurgery internship at Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine in New York.
Dr. Abou-Al-Shaar is an avid researcher with deep interest in skull base and cerebrovascular neurosurgery. To date, he has published over 90 peer-reviewed articles and 20 book chapters and has spoken at several national and international conferences, with over 60 oral and poster presentations. He is also the section editor on two published books, most recently the tumor section in Neurosurgery Case Review: Questions and Answers, published by Thieme Publishing in January of 2020. Dr. Abou-Al-Shaar is actively involved in teaching medical students interested in neuroscience and neurosurgery.
His hobbies outside of neurosurgery include soccer, tennis, and traveling.
Dr. Abou-Al-Shaar’s publications can be reviewed through the National Library of Medicine’s publication database.
Specialized Areas of Interest
Professional Organization Membership
Education & Training
- MD, Alfaisal University College of Medicine
Honors & Awards
- Best Resident Teacher Award, Department of Neurosurgery, Hofstra, 2018-19.
- Summa Cum Laude and Valedictorian, Alfaisal University 2017
- Academic Dean’s List Scholarship, Alfaisal, 2010-17
- PORCHE award for the best student in surgical clerkship, 2013
- Best Poster Presentation, Alfaisal University Annual Research Day Poster Competition, 2015 & 2016
- Teacher of the year, Alfaisal University, 2012