Ricardo J. Fernández-de Thomas joined the University of Pittsburgh Department of Neurological Surgery residency program in July of 2021.
Having graduated magna cum laude from the University of Puerto Rico Río Piedras Campus with a bachelor's degree in cellular and molecular biology, he completed his medical education at the University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine, where he also obtained his degree with magna cum laude distinction. Dr. Fernández-de Thomas became interested in neurosurgery early in his education, meeting and identifying key mentors since the early college years.
He was recognized as a student leader and researcher at both the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus, and the School of Medicine, obtaining various basic science and clinical research awards and becoming an active member of different student organizations.
After completing medical school in Puerto Rico, Dr. Fernández-de Thomas completed four years of neurosurgery residency, also at the University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine.
Dr. Fernández is also involved in community outreach and service projects, having spent time volunteering in different health clinics in Puerto Rico and Central America. His dedication to academics, community, and education led to his election into the Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society.
Dr. Fernández was born and raised in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Outside of medicine, Ricardo enjoys spending time with family and friends, practicing martial arts, playing baseball, softball, tennis, volleyball, weightlifting, and enjoying outdoor activities
Specialized Areas of Interest
Professional Organization Membership
Education & Training
- BS, Cellular and Molecular Biology University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus, 2013
- MD, University of Puerto Rico, Medical Science Campus, School of Medicine, 2017
- Residency, University of Puerto Rico, Medical Science Campus, School of Medicine, 2021
Honors & Awards
- Alpha Omega Alpha Chapter Member, University of Puerto Rico, 2021
- Dr. Ramón Ruiz Arnau, Clinical Research Award, 2017
- María T. Sáez Endowment Fund Medical Student Scholarship Award, 2017
- University of Puerto Rico Alumni and Friends Abroad Scholarship Award, 2016
- National Institutes of Health Research Initiative for Scientific Enhancement Program Fellow, 2011-2013
- Outstanding Image of the Month Confocal Microscopy Award, University of Puerto Rico, 2012
- Dean's List Award, University of Puerto Rico, 2009-2013
Dr. Fernández's publications can be reviewed through the National Library of Medicine's publication database.